Every year, you start off so strong, exercising every day, avoiding caffeine like the plague or saving every extra penny to finally get out of debt, but over a matter of weeks, your fancy New Year’s resolution seems to drop off and you’re back to your old self again. According to the Journal of Clinical Psychology, you’re not alone – 1 in 3 resolution makers ditch their promise of the year before the first month is even up!
Well, this year is going to be different, and EZ-ACCESS will help. Using these proven S.M.A.R.T. techniques, you will stick to your New Year’s Resolution, for at least the first few months – let’s be realistic!
- SPECIFIC – Don’t be flighty with your goal. Be clear and concise, assigning a direction, a date or a target for you to reach for. “I want to run a local 5K in the spring at an 8:30 pace” gives you a target to aim for that goes beyond a hopeful thought.
- MEASURABLE – Set mini goals to achieve along the way that lead to your overall goal. Don’t forget to determine your metrics or how you will assess that you’ve reached your milestones. Identify concrete ways to assess your goal so you know if and when you’ve reached it.
- ATTAINABLE – Rome wasn’t built in a day and you won’t lose 50 pounds in a week. Make sure your goal is practical and within reach. Make as much of an effort as you can, but don’t set yourself up for failure with a goal that’s actually impossible to meet.
- REALISTIC – Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. If you want to knit baby blankets for preemies in the NICU, could you knock out 30 in 30 days? Technically, probably, yes. However, how realistic is that goal when you factor in everything else on your plate? Don’t burn yourself out with a goal that pushes the boundaries of reason.
- TIME-BOUND – When life stressors appear, personal goals are the first thing to go. If you’ve given yourself concrete deadlines, however, skipping out on what you set out to do becomes much, much harder. Whether you follow a daily timeline or strive towards a date a few months down the road, a time-bound goal helps keep you on track and moving forward.
Is it easy? No. Is it worth it? Absolutely. Choosing and meeting a goal gives you just a taste of all you’re capable of accomplishing. Let us know at EZ-ACCESS if there’s a goal we can help you conquer in 2016.