We’re sure you’ve already heard that June is National Men’s Health Month. Maybe you’re wondering why men need a separate month dedicated to their health. The truth is that the recommended diet for men and women is very different. Similar to how women have specific nutritional needs to protect against breast cancer, men need specific nutrients in their diet to fight prostate cancer, maintain muscle mass and more.
Since at least half of our staff and our customers are male, the EZ-ACCESS team has compiled a list of the top 10 foods every man should add to their diet today!
- Bananas – Reduce risk of stroke and are a great source of quick energy. Bananas also strengthen your immune system, keep your nervous system at peak performance and promote a health metabolism.
- Berries – We’re talking blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, cranberries and cherries. These antioxidant-rich treats will primarily keep your brain healthy and even enhance brain function!
- Brazil Nuts – Prevent heart disease and promote prostate health through the selenium in these large nuts. Just one Brazil nut contains your daily dose of selenium, so keep your intake down, but do get those great nutrients in your body each day!
- Broccoli – Another fighter when it comes to heart disease and cancer. A healthy dose of broccoli will help fight prostate and colon cancer as will cabbage, cauliflower and Brussel sprouts – so MAN UP and eat your veggies!
- Fatty Fish – We’ve all heard the importance of getting your omega-3 fatty acids which are anti-inflammatory and help fight against arthritis or common muscle aches. The omega -3s come specifically in salmon, sardines, tuna, mackerel and herring, but can also be found in flaxseed, walnuts, soy, canola oil and eggs.
- Orange or Red Vegetables – Protect your skin and fight against the dreaded enlarged prostate with orange and red vegetables such as red bell peppers, carrots, pumpkin or sweet potatoes. Just one red bell pepper has 300% of the daily intake for vitamin C!
- Oysters – Love oysters and they’ll love you right back. They are rich in zinc which is involved in hundreds of body processes including the production of DNA to repair cells and even increase sperm counts.
- Plant Stanols – You’re probably wondering what this is. It is a substance that appears in fruits and vegetables, but are now also manufactured and added to stanol-fortified orange juice! The power behind plan stanols is that they lower cholesterol.
- Soybeans – Again, with the prostate health! Soybeans contain isoflavones which help decrease cholesterol and fight prostate cancer. Get your soy from soy nuts, soy milk, soy cheese, veggie burgers, tofu and edamame.
- Whole Grains – Finally, build your muscles with the right kind of whole grains! We mean the grains found in whole grain pasta and quinoa.
There is no better day than today to start eating healthy. If you’re a man, celebrate National Men’s Health Month by adding these foods to your diet and if you’re a woman, we wish you good luck in encouraging the men in your life to eat more of these male-focused superfoods!