According to a 2014 study by the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, over 29.1 million Americans currently suffer from diabetes. However, even though a large portion of our population is affected by this health condition, there is still a misunderstanding of diet choices that affect diabetes. In an effort to educate our loved ones, EZ-ACCESS is identifying these top foods to avoid for those with diabetes.
Review this list of the worst foods for diabetes and share with loved ones who need a reminder!
- Pretzels – While you may think pretzels reside on the healthy side, the basic ingredients tell a different tale. Made up of white flour, yeast, salt and vegetable oil, this snack offers no nutritional value and actually destroy your blood sugar numbers. Better choice – rice cakes.
- Bacon – This fatty cut of meat is loaded with saturated fat which spurs inflammation throughout the body and puts you at even greater risk for heart disease. Better choice – lean meats.
- Whole Milk – A better name would be Whole Fat. Whole milk is high in saturated fat greatly affects insulin resistance. Better choice – skim or even 1% milk.
- White Bread – Refined starches like the ones packed in to white bread, interfere with your glucose control. Better choice – whole wheat bread.
- French Fries – Before you order up a plate of trans fat heaven (french fries), keep in mind that this starchy, fatty side dish will cause your glucose levels to sky rocket and increase your bad cholesterol, in turn increasing your risk of heart disease. Better choice – almost any other side dish.
- Raisins – Raisins, or any dried fruit, are sure to make your blood sugar spike. This is caused by natural sugars becoming highly concentrated in the dehydration process. Better choice – fresh fruit.
Rounding out this list of the worst foods for diabetes is candy, fruit juice, pancakes and syrup, and pastries. If you suffer from diabetes or are working to prevent it, we recommend steering clear of these 6 foods for sure as well as other unhealthy choices described by your doctor.
While EZ-ACCESS does not offer treatment options for diabetes, we do offer solutions in home accessibility and mobility accessories. If you would like to discuss better accessibility solutions for your home, contact EZ-ACCESS at 800-451-1903 today!