The summer is heating up which means the risk of heat stroke is on the rise. Those who are in wheelchairs are at an even higher risk for heat-related illnesses such as heat stroke. If not prevented, a heat stroke can leave a person with vital organ damage and can even be fatal. EZ-ACCESS wants to help you understand how to prevent heat strokes to protect yourself while using your wheelchair during the hot summer months.
Avoid the hottest part of the day – If you are planning to head outside, it is important to do so at the appropriate time of day. Schedule your outdoor activities for the cooler parts of the day such as the early morning or late evening. Stay in air-conditioned buildings during the hot hours of the day.
Stay hydrated – Staying hydrated is important for anybody who plans to be outside in the summer. It is import to drink plenty of water before, during and after you spend time in the sun. If your body is properly hydrated, it will be able to cool itself off in case you start to overheat. Avoid soda and alcohol as these drinks can quickly lead to dehydration.
Keep a caregiver close – It is important to make sure someone is with you or knows you are going outside. Having someone close can help remind you to drink water and get you to those cooler outdoor spots, like shade under a tree. Also, in case an emergency did happen, a caregiver would be able to properly and promptly be able to help if you are unable or unconscious.
Remember, if you ever feel dizzy, headachy, muscle cramps, weakness or nauseas get out of the heat and cool down as soon as possible. If you have shortness of breath, hot/dry skin, chest pains or feel confused, call 9-1-1 immediately.
EZ-ACCESS hopes you enjoy your summer staying safe and cool in your wheelchair! Check out our website for more information on our portable mobility ramps and wheelchair storage equipment!
Are you planning a summer vacation, but you’re unsure what precautions to take to keep you and your mobility equipment safe? The EZ-ACCESS team understands your concerns. In honor of National Safety Month, here are a few items to keep in mind when traveling with your mobility device this summer.
- Use Your Portable Mobility Ramp Safely
Mobility ramps are our area of expertise and we can’t stress enough how important it is to use your portable mobility ramp in the way it was designed to be used. This means to only use your ramp at the proper incline, be mindful of weight restrictions and store properly to avoid injury.
- Take Along Backup Equipment
Be prepared for anything by remembering to pack replacement parts and backup batteries/chargers. If your mobility device is battery operated, what is your plan of action in case of a power outage?
- Beat the Heat
Heat and hydration is extremely important in the summer, especially for wheelchair users. Have a plan for staying hydrated throughout the day and know the signs of heat stroke. Watch for our next blog where we cover the signs of dehydration and heat stroke in detail.
- Plan Ahead
Be prepared for any accessibility issues beforehand. You can do this by calling the places you are visiting to discuss your needs. This will give you more peace-of-mind and allow the hotel, restaurant or other destination to prepare for your arrival.
Now that you know these four simple precautions, go out and enjoy your summer. Remember to use your ramp correctly, bring replacements, stay hydrated and call ahead. If you have questions about how to properly use your portable mobility ramp, contact the helpful customer service team at EZ-ACCESS!
We hear you! Some of us plan ahead and some of us DO NOT. For those who do not plan ahead, we’re betting you haven’t thought of a Father’s Day gift which is why the team at EZ-ACCESS has you covered. We’ve come up with a list of creative, thoughtful Father’s Day gifts of differing budgets for the family dad, the traveling dad, the sporty dad, the techy dad AND the assisted living dad!
Family Dad Gift Ideas
- Subscription to Ancestry.com so he can explore family ties
- Set him up on social networking and connect him with family
Travel Dad Gift Ideas
- Gift certificate for gas or an oil change
- Drive dad to his hometown to explore the past
- Send dad on a guided tour to somewhere he has always wanted to visit
Sporty Dad Gift Ideas
- Subscription to premium sports channels
- Tickets to the nearest game
- Tee-time at his favorite country club
- Cover cart rentals if dad already belongs to a country club
Techy Dad Gift Ideas
- Purchase and install anti-virus software on his computer
- Gift cards for his iPhone, Android or BlackBerry
- Research and then help him download some amazing apps that really fit his personality and needs
Assisted Living Dad Gift Ideas
- Gift certificate for on-site barber at assisted living facility
- Pay facility car service to bring him on an outing wherever he wants to go
- Bring family to him for a day of fun
- Fly his sibling in that he maybe hasn’t seen for years
Whatever Father’s Day gift idea you end up going with, we hope you end up spending the day surrounded by your loved ones. Unfortunately, EZ-ACCESS doesn’t provide any of the gift ideas listed above, but we do offer an excellent line of mobility ramps to help those with limited mobility get in and out of their home, car or business. If you need help making your home or business more accessible, visit the EZ-ACCESS website or give us a call today!
We’re sure you’ve already heard that June is National Men’s Health Month. Maybe you’re wondering why men need a separate month dedicated to their health. The truth is that the recommended diet for men and women is very different. Similar to how women have specific nutritional needs to protect against breast cancer, men need specific nutrients in their diet to fight prostate cancer, maintain muscle mass and more.
Since at least half of our staff and our customers are male, the EZ-ACCESS team has compiled a list of the top 10 foods every man should add to their diet today!
- Bananas – Reduce risk of stroke and are a great source of quick energy. Bananas also strengthen your immune system, keep your nervous system at peak performance and promote a health metabolism.
- Berries – We’re talking blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, cranberries and cherries. These antioxidant-rich treats will primarily keep your brain healthy and even enhance brain function!
- Brazil Nuts – Prevent heart disease and promote prostate health through the selenium in these large nuts. Just one Brazil nut contains your daily dose of selenium, so keep your intake down, but do get those great nutrients in your body each day!
- Broccoli – Another fighter when it comes to heart disease and cancer. A healthy dose of broccoli will help fight prostate and colon cancer as will cabbage, cauliflower and Brussel sprouts – so MAN UP and eat your veggies!
- Fatty Fish – We’ve all heard the importance of getting your omega-3 fatty acids which are anti-inflammatory and help fight against arthritis or common muscle aches. The omega -3s come specifically in salmon, sardines, tuna, mackerel and herring, but can also be found in flaxseed, walnuts, soy, canola oil and eggs.
- Orange or Red Vegetables – Protect your skin and fight against the dreaded enlarged prostate with orange and red vegetables such as red bell peppers, carrots, pumpkin or sweet potatoes. Just one red bell pepper has 300% of the daily intake for vitamin C!
- Oysters – Love oysters and they’ll love you right back. They are rich in zinc which is involved in hundreds of body processes including the production of DNA to repair cells and even increase sperm counts.
- Plant Stanols – You’re probably wondering what this is. It is a substance that appears in fruits and vegetables, but are now also manufactured and added to stanol-fortified orange juice! The power behind plan stanols is that they lower cholesterol.
- Soybeans – Again, with the prostate health! Soybeans contain isoflavones which help decrease cholesterol and fight prostate cancer. Get your soy from soy nuts, soy milk, soy cheese, veggie burgers, tofu and edamame.
- Whole Grains – Finally, build your muscles with the right kind of whole grains! We mean the grains found in whole grain pasta and quinoa.
There is no better day than today to start eating healthy. If you’re a man, celebrate National Men’s Health Month by adding these foods to your diet and if you’re a woman, we wish you good luck in encouraging the men in your life to eat more of these male-focused superfoods!